When applying, please, be advised that the permission to enter Russia is a courtesy of the State. In accordance with the International Law, the Consulate in certain cases reserves the right to consider your visa applications for as long as it is necessary.
Visa can be denied if the Consulate has serious reasons to believe that the Applicant’s visit to Russia is not desirable, and the disclosure of the reason for the denial can be withheld.
Visa processing fees received from the applicants are not subject to reimbursement in case of subsequent refusal.
1. In case of emergency (unexpected illness, death of relatives, etc.) visa can be obtained upon submitting a certified cable from a Russian clinic or a copy of a death certificate. Please note that if your last name differ from the last name of your relative you have to provide additional paperwork proving your kinship (marriage certificate, birth certificate etc).
2. An original passport anda xerox-copy of it’s vital pages with personal data of the bearer (including the amendments at p.24: passport validity extension, the bearer’s name change, etc. (“GREEN CARDS” i.e. “RESIDENT ALIEN CARDS” are not valid for entry into Russia).
3 A completed visa application form (one per person).
Effective September 10th, 2008, a new visa application form has been put into effect.
Applicants candownload this application form here,complete and print it out according to therequirementsenclosed, or complete it on-line and print it out on the special web-site: http://ivisa.kdmid.ru.The form can also be obtained from the Consulate General.
Please note that any other application forms are not acceptable any more.
4. One (1) recent professional passport size picture of an applicant. Pictures can be black-and-white or color, preferably on mat paper. Please, cut a xerox-copy of vital passport pages to its original size and staple them to an upper-left corner of the application form. The pictureshould be stamped to a specially marked place.
5. Please note that emergency visa can be issued for not more than 3 month (no exceptions).
6. (!) Applicants who used to be citizens of the USSR or of the Russian Federation and then emigrated from the USSR or from Russia MUST submit one of the documents which confirms that they are no longer citizens of the Russian Federation (so called “Visa to Israel” or stamp in their passport saying that they left for “permanent residence abroad” before the 6th of February, 1992 or official document certifying that their Russian citizenship was abrogated).
Îáðàùàåì âíèìàíèå íà òî, ÷òî ñîãëàñíî ïîëîæåíèÿì ñòàòüè 6 Çàêîíà Ðîññèéñêîé Ôåäåðàöèè “Î ãðàæäàíñòâå Ðîññèéñêîé Ôåäåðàöèè” çà ëèöîì, ñîñòîÿùèì â ðîññèéñêîì ãðàæäàíñòâå, íå ïðèçíàåòñÿ ïðèíàäëåæíîñòü ê ãðàæäàíñòâó äðóãîãî ãîñóäàðñòâà, åñëè èíîå íå ïðåäóñìîòðåíî ìåæäóíàðîäíûì äîãîâîðîì Ðîññèéñêîé Ôåäåðàöèè. Ïîýòîìó óêàçàííûå ëèöà ðàññìàòðèâàþòñÿ òîëüêî â êà÷åñòâå ðîññèéñêèõ ãðàæäàí è äîëæíû âúåçæàòü â Ðîññèþ è âûåçæàòü èç íåå òîëüêî ïî äåéñòâèòåëüíûì ðîññèéñêèì ïàñïîðòàì.
7. Att: non-American citizens – On the basis of reciprocity mandatory medical insurance (see the list of appropriate licensed insurers) or written guarantee of medical coverage from a Russian hosting organization for all period of stay is required for the citizens Austria, Belgium, Estonia, France, Finland, Germany, Czechia, Greece, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain (except for those who bear a US Permanent resident or US resident Alien status (green card))
On the basis of reciprocity German citizens may apply for Russian visa at the Russian Consular Mission in the US only if they have a US Permanent resident or US resident Alien status (green card). In all other cases they have to apply for Russian visa at the at the Russian Consular Mission in Germany.
8. A cover letter from a US company or from an applicant, if you are travelling individually, explaining who is going, where to, when and with what purpose.
9. To apply for a visa by mail, you must attach a return self-addressed stamped envelope or a prepaid air-bill of an overnight mail delivery company you choose to have the visa sent back to you. A pick-up slip should be got then at the time of application. The slip should be presented to pick up the visa when it is ready or referred to if any question arises about the visa status.
To avoid your correspondence being lost in mail we recommend to use USPS Registered, USPS Certified, USPS Express or FedEx, DHL, Airborne and similar services (so, that the envelopes bear a tracking number). Visa Desk is not responsible for any loss or mishandling of the mail
10. A money order , company check or a cashier’s check payable to Russian Consulate for visa processing. The following fees will apply:
Single entry visa
Double entry visa
Multiple entry visa
6 working days
3 working days (not including the day of application)
Please, also note that 10 working days are required to issue visas for a stateless person.
Consulate reserves the right to extend the processing time without giving any explanation. Exact visa processing time depends on how busy the Consulate is.
The same day processing applies only to the applications which are delivered to the Consulate General before 2.30 p.m. and picked up at 4.30 p.m. If one applies by mail, one extra day is added to the visa processing time.
Visa processing fees are not refundable.
Documents which are submitted in the way different from the above mentioned will not be accepted.
After visa is received, please, check it and if you find any mistakes return it to the Consulate General for correction. We charge $40.00 for correction of the mistakes which are not the Consulate’s General fault. The Consulate General will not be responsible for the mistakes which are not brought to its attention before departure from the USA.
Please, note that the above mentioned requirements are general. If you need more information, please, email us: or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to get answers to your exact personal questions.
The instructions can not be faxed.
The visa section is open for visitors Monday through Friday 2 p.m. – 4.30 p.m. ONLY, Visa pick-up 2p.m. – 3 pm ONLY
Processing time, requirements and fees are subject to change without notice.